PDA

View Full Version : Prairie Storm $24.99 a box!

Bird Buster
08-29-2010, 08:18 PM
I was in Gander Mountain today and saw this ammo for a whopping $24.99 a box, question are there any hunters on here that would pay that much for one box of pheasant shells? Black Cloud goose loads are even less expensive at $19.99 so I don't know how they expect to sell this stuff for $24.99. Pretty disappointing in my opinion :(

moellermd
08-29-2010, 08:33 PM
I don't think you understand. Those shells have bird seeking pellets in them. If you just point your gun in the general direction of the bird it will hit it. In fact due to the unique pellet design upon impact it creates a rotational force that causes the dead bird to fly back towards you and land inside your game vest.

hunter94
08-29-2010, 08:34 PM
not sure, but i would think you could find fioochi golden pheasant shells for less...and they work really well!

landman
08-29-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't think you understand. Those shells have bird seeking pellets in them. If you just point your gun in the general direction of the bird it will hit it. In fact due to the unique pellet design upon impact it creates a rotational force that causes the dead bird to fly back towards you and land inside your game vest.

Not to mention that it saves energy so your high priced pheasant finding machine can stay focused on finding/flushing and less on retrieving. Worth the extra cost for this reason alone.

RoosterBuck
08-29-2010, 08:57 PM
i found them for 18 a box

Rooster Roaster
08-30-2010, 07:14 AM
This message has been deleted.

Bird Buster
08-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Gander must be way overpriced if they are selling for around $18 else where. Still more than I am willing to pay, I shoot Kent Fast Lead and have always had great success with it and don't see myself switching to this new high tech load even after seeing all the hype that has been advertised on it.

JMc
08-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Gander will price match if you have a flier.

waynemorgan
08-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Gander will price match if you have a flier.

if you know some of the prices but they are higher then retail on a lot of there stuff,but if that is all that is near its fine:thumbsup:

Rooster Roaster
08-31-2010, 12:11 AM
This message has been deleted.

jmac
08-31-2010, 07:23 PM

Moellermd,

Thats a good one sir. LOL LOLM:cheers:

blackcloud27
08-31-2010, 07:40 PM
wow more than i will spend on a pheasant load. i have used blackcloud steel on geese and crushed them. found some blackcloud 4 shot worked great on late season roosters. just to let you all know i was blackcloud before federal introduced thier new loads i should get royalty's from them.

webguy
10-18-2010, 08:25 PM

I would hire you around my office for you comedy alone! Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to afford you. I'm guessing you will be hired on at the MGM Grand here shortly with Carrot Top opening for you.

bang bang bang....F&$K!
11-16-2010, 10:57 PM
I was in Gander Mountain today and saw this ammo for a whopping $24.99 a box, question are there any hunters on here that would pay that much for one box of pheasant shells? Black Cloud goose loads are even less expensive at $19.99 so I don't know how they expect to sell this stuff for $24.99. Pretty disappointing in my opinion :(

Kens in Aberdeen has them for.......are you ready........$32.99/box. We laughed out loud.

Dakotazeb
11-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Kens in Aberdeen has them for.......are you ready........$32.99/box. We laughed out loud.

Kesslers in Aberdeen generally has the best price in town on shells. In fact I find Kesslers to have some of the better prices in the state. And they will knock more off if you buy a case. Kens is usually pretty high on their shells.

Bird Buster
11-16-2010, 11:12 PM
I ended up getting a box for 17.99 at Sportsmans Warehouse and patterned them against Kent Fast lead using a modified choke. They were NO BETTER in my gun and I was pretty disappointed after all the hype about them for the last several months. They did tear the crap out of the paper I used for patterning I noticed.

Rooster Roaster
11-16-2010, 11:51 PM
It's a pretty sad state of affairs when people think you need this kind of hype and gimmicky product to shoot pheasants effectively.

Where is the interest in finding a gun that fits, using a sensible load that you can handle without flinching, and learning to shoot well through regular practice?

I guess it's the instant gratification factor of trying to buy your success rather than earn it.

onpoint
11-17-2010, 05:07 AM
In a economy like we have now, a company decides to introduce a high end shotgun ammo that is near twice the price in some cases. Brilliant....They should fire their whole marketing department.

Have you seen what these loads do to a bird in some cases?

You can just whip your rooster in the weeds. There's nothing left of it.

To each his own. I'll shoot Fioochi for half the price or if I'm feeling generous to myself. I'll buy their Golden Pheasant loads. Most people do not have the skills to pound a bird out of the sky at 60 yards. So why buy shells that make you think you can?

hazzard
11-17-2010, 07:27 AM
This is all a case of price gouging!!!! You can buy a case from Reeds online for 159.99 + 10.00 shipping so $17 a box. I like the shells they work good, better than others maybe- maybe not do I care no they bring down pheasants. One thing you are all forgetting here is there is always a better way to catch a mouse and at least Federal is looking for that way. I think some of you are the ones that laughed at Bill Gates when he first started and still think that checks are a great way to pay for things. Open your minds!!!

airmedic1
11-17-2010, 07:40 AM
I didn't should Black Cloud this last few weekends, how did I kill anything? I used a 2.5" 12b load that just knocked them out of the sky. It didn't hurt my shoulder, my pocketbook or tear up the birds!

labsnslabs
11-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Cabela's has them for $18 or $19 a box. Bought two boxes of fiochhi golden pheasants and one box of prairie storm. I've been switching off and on between the two. So far ever bird shot with the federal is doa, the fiochhi not so much. Could be my shooting and in my head but I will be switching to the federal's next time I restock. If I went through cases of shells the price might bother me but I dont.

daryl1801
11-27-2010, 10:00 PM
gander mt. is one of the worst places to buy anything.way overpriced on everything even on sale priced items!!! I buy from the small guy and get a good deal and good fellowship from my hunting and fishing buddies!

birdshooter
11-27-2010, 10:31 PM
In a economy like we have now, a company decides to introduce a high end shotgun ammo that is near twice the price in some cases. Brilliant....They should fire their whole marketing department.

Onpoint, part of the deal with the Prairie Storm shells is that a percentage of each sale goes to Pheasants Forever. I don't know what percentage that is, but suspect it may be at least a couple bucks anyway and maybe more. The other part is most likely the "flightstopper shot". More costly to manufacturer I guess. Either way, when it comes to ammo, it's like the ole saying goes "It's the indian not the arrow" that does the killi'n.

Upland Hunter
11-28-2010, 11:17 AM
I think you are paying for mostly hype if you buy this ammo.
I'm all for supporting PF, and have been a member and contributor of treasure and labor to the PF cause since the organization began.
No need to spend this much treasure for an effective and deadly pheasant load.

blueweim
11-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Cabela's has them for $18 or $19 a box. Bought two boxes of fiochhi golden pheasants and one box of prairie storm. I've been switching off and on between the two. So far ever bird shot with the federal is doa, the fiochhi not so much. Could be my shooting and in my head but I will be switching to the federal's next time I restock. If I went through cases of shells the price might bother me but I dont.

I agree. I have always used Remington nitro's but this weekend i went with the Prairie Stroms. Every bird was doa and no runners.

Upland_Canuck
01-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Here in Canadaland, I pay through the teeth for ammo. A box of Winchester Super Pheasant is $39.99. A box of 10 turkey loads (Federal Mag Shok w/ Flitecontrol Wad) $16.99, and Winchester XX Mag are $32.99. I'll pay what I have to.

quick 52
02-18-2011, 03:45 PM
I only shoot one kind of shells #5 1 1/4 oz and cheap under 10 bucks if your on the bird your on if its a bad day no shell is going to change it for u

SDJIM
05-02-2011, 06:07 PM
I see in the new PF Journal that Federal is offering Prairie Storm in Steel Shot this year in 3" 20 and 12 gage #3 & #4 shot.

At a bargin price too, just $25.95 and $27.95. Better buy a couple of cases---NOT:rolleyes:

Bird Buster
05-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Yea I saw that in the latest PF magazine also. Some of the most over rated ammo EVER made in my opinion and costliest.

Dakotazeb
05-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Yea I saw that in the latest PF magazine also. Some of the most over rated ammo EVER made in my opinion and costliest.

I agree. But as long a John Q. Public continues to buy it, they will continue to make it and market it.

I see absolutely no need or use for Prairie Storm. Appears they are trying to make ammo that will pattern like a Full choke through a IC choke. I know I'll never buy a box.

SDJIM
05-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Yep I know I'll never buy another box. Just had to try last year and indeed it worked just fine but so does a lot of other ammo and at much less cost.

It also rips things up if you shoot a bird that is to close to you, and a heavy gun is nice to as it does have a bit of recoil. LOL

I think I'm going to use my 16 ga a lot more this year.:cheers:

Dakotazeb
05-03-2011, 08:48 AM
I think I'm going to use my 16 ga a lot more this year.:cheers:

That's about all I've been using the past 2 years. An once or 1 1/8 oz. of shot is all that is needed to kill a rooster cleanly.

onpoint
05-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm pretty much stuck with 12,20,28 and 410 for chasing Roosters in Sodak. All my 16's are fixed choke and I can't afford Bismuth or other high priced lead substitutes. I hunt public land pretty much exclusive out there. Minnesota's a a different story. Public land in Minnesota(WMA's) are still open to shooting lead in most cases. I enjoy carrying some really sweet quality old guns in Minnesota with classic lead shot loads.

Dakotazeb
05-03-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm pretty much stuck with 12,20,28 and 410 for chasing Roosters in Sodak. All my 16's are fixed choke and I can't afford Bismuth or other high priced lead substitutes. I hunt public land pretty much exclusive out there. Minnesota's a a different story. Public land in Minnesota(WMA's) are still open to shooting lead in most cases. I enjoy carrying some really sweet quality old guns in Minnesota with classic lead shot loads.

If you want to shoot your 16's I've got some Kent Tungsten Matrix loads I will sell you. I bought a case last year on sale. Still expensive at $17 per a box of 10 but that's about half of retail. I'd part with a couple boxes if you want to try them.

onpoint
05-03-2011, 02:17 PM
If you want to shoot your 16's I've got some Kent Tungsten Matrix loads I will sell you. I bought a case last year on sale. Still expensive at $17 per a box of 10 but that's about half of retail. I'd part with a couple boxes if you want to try them.

Very kind offer Zeb. I may take you up on that.

jonnyB
05-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Expensive shells...I priced Hoppe's #9 cleaning fluid at Gander: $7.00 a bottle. Same stuff at Walmart, under $3.

Pays to shop!

kgpcr
08-21-2011, 07:03 PM
If you bought at Gander you paid to much 99% of the time. I like my Golden Pheasant 5's and also my Estate 5's. Both do their job if i do mine

PBuster
08-27-2011, 02:25 PM
I think the box with the cute picture is $32, the shells are free. Those prices only add insult to the wallet on a bad day shooting. Whats wrong with regular #5's. I seen guys using low brass 6's and doing well, just need to know how to shoot.

Dakotazeb
08-27-2011, 02:31 PM
I think the box with the cute picture is $32, the shells are free. Those prices only add insult to the wallet on a bad day shooting. Whats wrong with regular #5's. I seen guys using low brass 6's and doing well, just need to know how to shoot.

That's a big 10-4 good buddy! I shoot a 16 ga. with 1 1/6 or 1 1/8 oz of shot. Others shoot nothing but a 20 ga. and we kill just as many as the guys shooting 12 ga. 3 inchers or these stupid Prairie Storms.

Moral of the story: The shell isn't going to make you a better shot!

pheasantaddict
08-27-2011, 10:01 PM
To split hairs, some shell is always going to make you a better shot. There is always one shell that will pattern the best and have the best lethal impact in each individual gun. whether it costs .25 or 2.00 per shell.