PDA

View Full Version : 24 or 26

parman
08-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Considering purchasing a 24" barrel for my Benelli ultralight. I have a 26" barrel. Any thoughts would be helpful.

bobeyerite
08-15-2010, 12:24 PM
It is hard to get a nice smooth swing with a barrel that short. It will take a lot of practice to get a good swing. I mean A LOT of practice. I use 28 inch barrels and I still have to practice my swing. I cannot see any good reason for 24 inch barresl other than to keep the cost down..........Bob

JMc
08-15-2010, 12:57 PM
I got rid of a Rem 11-87 Upland with 23" barrel for the very reason Bob has mentioned. I would get on point an pull the trigger and quit swinging the gun. Went with a Benelli M1 20 with 26" barrel and will never look back. Also, a 24" always feels great in the gun store...Go 26".

Dakotazeb
08-15-2010, 07:02 PM
I really like Bob but one thing we will never agree on is barrel length. :) It's really much a personal preference. I have a Montefeltro with a 24" barrel that I absolutely love. A 24" barrel on a semi-auto is approx. the same as a 28" on an O/U or SxS. I like the balance and the between the hands feel of the shorter barrel on a gun like my Monte or the UL you are looking at. Of course a lot depends on what you are hunting but for upland hunting I, for one, prefer the shorter barrel. On my O/U's and SxS's I like a 26".

It's all personal preference. Go with what feels best for you.

Rooster Roaster
08-15-2010, 09:49 PM
This message has been deleted.

FCSpringer
08-15-2010, 09:56 PM
With the chokes now, it realy does not matter. Like said prefrance. as far as performance. But I do like a longer gun for swing my self. I have 30 " barrels. I believe in my head I have greater range with the longer barrels.

goldeneye
08-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Considering purchasing a 24" barrel for my Benelli ultralight. I have a 26" barrel. Any thoughts would be helpful.

I have a Benelli with a short barrel I use it for Goose hunting,Ducks,Grouse and of course Pheasants.
I now have a SxS with a 26" barrel and the fast swing of the gun I feel Is Wonderfull.

Natty Bumpo
08-16-2010, 04:00 PM
My BUL 12 has the 24" barrel, balances just great. Its the best handling 12 GA auto I've ever had my hands on and thats been more than a couple. I use it alot in the grouse woods and that colors my choice, but only a little. Its exactly the same overall length as a Beretta 686 with 28" tubes.

Natty B.

oldandnew
08-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Why limit yourself to only 24" or 26", the great Robert Churchill horrified Victorian society by putting 25" tubes on his "best" grade double sxs. He had a lot of good reasons for doing it, and it was positively against the norm of the time, which was 30" and 32" barrels. Let me tell you, a 25" barrel on an english doublegun is really compact! ! I own a few, and alot of 26". Have a few 30" and 32" as well. Except for targets, I have noi idea why anyone would lug a 30" cannon across the uplands these days. But in the end it's all what you shoot the most often and I guarantee, it will be the one you shoot best with. Moral of the story, pick what you fancy, shoot the heck out of it, get good and enjoy! I guarantee a couple of inches isn't going to make a difference.

jnormanh
08-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Different strokes for different folks. I happen to like 28" on an ou, but if 24" or 32" works for you, shoot 'em.

It's never the gun.