PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a good dog needs help training

JDshockNawe
01-12-2017, 03:33 PM
Hi I'm just starting upland bird hunting after this fall season I went once and I'm hooked (always deer hunted before) I have a 3 year old black lab that's a good house dog and show potential for hunting as long as she doesn't have to swim. So Im working on training her. Only problem is I don't know anyone who hunts or trains dogs for upland bird. And there is only so much I can learn from books and video, they don't answer some my question and Im having a hard time when it say something that everyone should know but I don't. Hopefully someone near me could help I live near Allegan Michigan and would love some expert advice thanks for taking the time to read this

jmac
01-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Welcome JD to Uph. Ask your questions on dog training in our birddog training forums. You will get plenty of responses. :)

JDshockNawe
01-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Thanks will do

Tireguy
01-18-2017, 08:36 PM
Hey Jd welcome to bird hunting, biggest thing with a lab is to keep them in close 20yards and get them into birds. Because they are a flushing dog if they get out farther you will need to be extremely lucky to get a shot. The more birds you can get them into the better, a lot is in the dogs genetics. Pheasants in the open you have a little more leeway for distance.

jonnyB
01-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Hi I'm just starting upland bird hunting after this fall season I went once and I'm hooked (always deer hunted before) I have a 3 year old black lab that's a good house dog and show potential for hunting as long as she doesn't have to swim. So Im working on training her. Only problem is I don't know anyone who hunts or trains dogs for upland bird. And there is only so much I can learn from books and video, they don't answer some my question and Im having a hard time when it say something that everyone should know but I don't. Hopefully someone near me could help I live near Allegan Michigan and would love some expert advice thanks for taking the time to read this

You might try googling "retriever club" - Allegan,MI. There are several clubs that are listed. Would assume members would assist you in your training or direct you to professionals in Michigan.

Good Luck!