The #1 dedicated pheasant hunting website & community!
Pheasant Hunting Guides, Outfitters, Lodges - List Your Business

Go Back   Ultimate Pheasant Hunting Forum > Regional Forums > South Dakota

South Dakota South Dakota pheasant hunting forum, meet up with South Dakota Hunters, spots to hunt in South Dakota and SD related posts.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:13 AM
UPH Guru

haymaker is on a distinguished road

Jet
I yield to your experience, as I said I have only hunted pen raised once. I am just going on what I hear from the guys that come here. Even late season birds will sit. I have hunters that start hunting a field and have alot of birds fly away at a distance but still find birds that would sit. As you said it depends on the cover.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:54 AM
UPH Guru

carptom1 is on a distinguished road

well because i am bored i will share my little bit of experience on this subject. I have friend that owns a large hunting operation in south dakota. He explained to me that if you run a preserve, you must supplement for birds taken. All fee hunting places are not preserves. A preserve has liberal bag limits and extended seasons. I suspect many of the commercial hunting operations supplement, but he does not. He ran a preserve area for awhile, but closed it a few years ago. As far as pen raised birds, they come in all types. If they are raised in large flight pens, i have seen huge ones, and forced to fly periodically they can be good to hunt. If they are raised in small pens and fed power food to mature quickly, they suck. Some of the better preserve areas here, breed for flight and their birds are good. I do agree that once those birds get shot at a couple times, they learn pretty quick. Some years ago i came across a commercial operation north of abeline kansas. They catered to high end ceo's and such. Would release hundreds of birds every week. We used to pay his neighbor to hunt, 50.00 a day, let me tell you there were " clouds" of wild assed pheasants. They would group up in 20-50 bird coveys and would be wild as hell. Good times.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:04 AM

1pheas4 is on a distinguished road

At times pen birds can look very much wild. In many cases it just takes time and experience to tell wild birds from pen birds. An example would be my cousin whom last weekend I showed pictures of wild vs. pen birds. He pointed to most pen birds pictures as being "wild". He's been hunting pheasants 16 years or so and he couldn't tell the difference between most.

Besides the obvious marks that pen bird often have on their beaks/nostrils from peepers/blinders, a pen bird will often lack the sleek look, movements, posturing, preend feathers, shorter length of beak, shaped/rounded beak tip, and strong fast flight of a wild bird. Even the beat of the wings in flight varys between wild and pen birds as they do between a hen and a rooster.

Below are a few videos. The first one is a pen bird. The second video is a wild bird flushing (posted in our dog forum from Zbirdman). In Zbirdman's video the bird is sleek, strong, has a tremendous will to keep moving even after being hit, and the beat of his wings screams "wild".

Pen bird flush. Skip up to 50 Seconds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqatmaxURvc

Wild bird flush (Zbirdman vid) Skip up to 40 Seconds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdMssoW4vQ0never mind! Zbirdman filled me on this bird. It's a pen raised bird. Goes to show you how tough it can be to tell the difference between the two. As I told ZB, I've never seen pen birds fly like this pen raised bird! Outstanding!! The flight characteristics are dead on to how wild pheasants typically fly. Thanks again ZB for letting me use your Video

Lol....most definitely a pen bird! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoO8kCTQjg0

http://www.pheasantfreaks.com

Last edited by 1pheas4; 10-11-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:18 PM
UPH Guru

Uncle Buck is on a distinguished road

Part of this equation is simple. If the ground is open to hunting before the 3rd Saturday of Oct. in SD, it has at least some released birds as only a preserve can be open before and/or after the regular season. Many of your larger operations(and usually higher test) have preserve and non-preserve ground and you will find a mix. Most would not "supplement" the non-preserve ground, but could be a bit of movement back and forth.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:12 PM
UPH Master

Ranger Rick is on a distinguished road
Default 1pheas4

The kid with the gun to his shoulder right over the dog's back was scaring me. And most definitely a pen raised bird. I've used pheasants for training and had trouble with them running and not wanting to fly - a lot, so much so that I tied their legs together to keep them in place until I came in to flush. that last bird didn't even really want to run away. Wow.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:17 AM
UPH Pro

lab man is on a distinguished road

ranger rick and kevinj do you take 212 or 7 in min ? picking up my son there and heading for sd first week of nov.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:56 PM
UPH Guru

Uncle Buck is on a distinguished road

Have traveled both quite a bit. Toss-up, both have lots of small towns.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:17 PM
UPH Master

Tbear is on a distinguished road

Labman not sure were you are headed but 90 seams to be the quickest. 70mph and no towns.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:36 PM

1pheas4 is on a distinguished road

I know I'm late to the party on this one. I posted videos of pen birds during flight in an earlier post.

Here's a quick video that displays good "wild" characteristics of a wild rooster in flight.

Notice how fast he flushes and quick his flight compared to the pen birds in previous videos from youtube

http://youtu.be/GF3b6qvfHzA

http://www.pheasantfreaks.com
Old 01-17-2012, 04:54 PM
UPH Guru

UGUIDE will become famous soon enough

Not sure which ones are penned or wild in all previous videos but their all wild in these videos.

http://www.uguidesdpheasants.com/video/