The #1 dedicated pheasant hunting website & community!
Pheasant Hunting Guides, Outfitters, Lodges - List Your Business

UGUIDE South Dakota Pheasant Hunting

Go Back   Ultimate Pheasant Hunting Forum > Regional Forums > Montana

Montana Montana pheasant hunting forum, meet up with Montana Hunters, spots to hunt in Montana and Montana related posts.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:46 PM
UPH Amateur

vizslaman is on a distinguished road
Default Hunting Near Bozeman

Hey all, a little help with a scouting adventure. I have a potential job offer in Bozeman, MT. I went through there 3 years ago and thought "what a beautiful place." Wasn't considering the hunting possibilities.

Now that it is a possibility, I am wondering where the nearest place to pheasant hunt might be. I am used to Western Kansas and Nebraska and I know Montana won't be that. I lease land in Kansas and Nebraska, so I am used to paying for my addiction. Are there places to hunt pheasants around Bozeman? How much do leases cost? Are they difficult to find?

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:48 PM
UPH Die Hard

dustin mudd is on a distinguished road

HI I have lived in Bozeman for 30 plus years. There are some birds on private land, along the Gallatin, and Jefferson rivers. MOSTLY held very closely to mostly non- hunting access types. YOU MIGHT work hard enough to get some relationships to gain access eventually. WE get too much snow for great carryover, however many decades ago, Bozeman was really loaded with pheasants. Most all the locals who i know from the area travel to the dakotas, or eastern Montana. However you are right it is a beautiful place to live! Good time to move here , housing is like most of the west, some relief in prices! hope it works for you! Do you have bird dogs?

HIGHLY recommend the local grouse, and to a lesser degree, the local hun, and sharptail hunting .
Old 07-27-2011, 10:39 AM
UPH Amateur

vizslaman is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Mudd. That's pretty much what I figured. It looks like people hunt around Lewistown too. I would like to live in a place where I could hunt pheasants in the morning and watch football in the afternoon. It's just not in the cards I guess.

Yes, I own a 5 year old vizsla. He's never seen a sharpie, hun or grouse. I am sure he would be happy to chase them up, though. His favorite is bobwhite quail cause they don't run out from under his points while the fat old man tries to catch up.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:16 PM
UPH Die Hard

dustin mudd is on a distinguished road

I will say Montana is very underated overall for the overall bird hunting.It is never easy, but long seasons, liberal limits, and frankly except for pheasants, not much pressure. YOUR Vizsla would love it here! 4 months of upland