The #1 dedicated pheasant hunting website & community!
Pheasant Hunting Guides, Outfitters, Lodges - List Your Business

UGUIDE South Dakota Pheasant Hunting

Go Back   Ultimate Pheasant Hunting Forum > Pheasant Hunting Discussions > Guns & Ammo

Guns & Ammo Discuss pheasant hunting guns, ammunition, chokes, parts, reloading, etc.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:55 AM
UPH Amateur

Timwald144 is on a distinguished road
Default What gun is the best all around gun

I was wondering what gun you all thought was the best gun to use on the upland side and the water side of bird hunting

Last edited by Timwald144; 11-25-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:03 PM
UPH Guru

UGUIDE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwald144 View Post
I was wondering what gun you all thought was the best gun to use on the upland side and the water side of bird hunting
Tim, I traded in my 12 and 10 gauges a long time ago and the only gun I have ever shot is the 3.5" Benelli SBE. Liked it so much I traded in my heavy BAR 7MM for the nice light Benelli R-1 30-06 rifle. That's all a guy needs to shoot a whole lot of critters.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:07 PM
UPH Guru

birdshooter is on a distinguished road

That's almost impossible to answer as everyone will have their own personal favorites. I will say that for dependability you will probably do best with one of the better known brands (Browning, Beretta, Benelli etc..). Upland or waterfowl models included. They are going to be the more expensive, but garner the best dependability as well. Waterfowl guns are generally heavier and upland guns lighter so you be the judge what is best for you for double duty.

Of course all this doesn't mean that brands other than these are not dependable just that the aforementioned brands see much more use overall from the general public. As an example the Beretta A390 and now the A391 Urika have been the most popular Autoloaders in the Sporting Clays world for many years. Beretta learned alot about those guns in the early days from the 10's of thousands of rounds that were being put on them in competition. After learning of some shortcomings, they built them better and stronger with less maintenance required.

What it all boils down to is to find one that you can afford that reasonably fits you well. But first you must decide on what type of action you want, then look into the different manufacturers choices. If you can arrange it go shoot some of the different brands/models.

Last edited by birdshooter; 11-25-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:42 AM
UPH Guru

BritChaser is on a distinguished road
Default My Opinion on All Round Gun

I would say a 12 ga. over and under with screw in chokes. With cylinder to extra full/turkey chokes you can effectively go after quail, grouse, partridge, pheasant, waterfowl, and turkey. You can have a more open choke for your first shot, a light load even, and then a tighter choke for the second shot.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:20 AM

jmac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwald144 View Post
Timwald144,

As others have stated this is a matter of personal preference. The best gun is the one that fits you and the one you can knock down birds with. I shop around alot before I purchase my guns. Shouldered all I could get my hands on. You'll know when one just feels right, natural.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:57 PM
UPH Guru

wisturkeyhunter is on a distinguished road

12 or maybe 20 gauge auto that feels good in your hands. A pump is just as good in the hands of somebody who is good with one which most aren't.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:54 PM
UPH Guru

kiotehntr is on a distinguished road

I would have to second the 12ga. as the best selection for mixed use. I shoot a Winchester SX3 26" Barrrel chambered in 3.5" and love it, it handles light loads for dove and quail but handles heavy turkey and geese loads as well. It is a personal preference just like everyone has stated. If you have buddies that have a "mix" of shotguns, try to get them together and shoot them to help you get a feel so you can make your own decision. If you listen to some of these good ole' boys on this site you're going to end up owning one of each brand..... Good Luck
Old 11-29-2010, 07:11 PM
UPH Amateur

Timwald144 is on a distinguished road
Default Shotgun

I wish I could have all the makes of guns but with two girls thats about impossible to do. I will have to ask around and start going to multiple gun stores to hold them and see which one best fits me. I will stay with a 12G for sure I just feel like having that extra in there is better for me,.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:50 PM
UPH Guru

blackcloud27 is on a distinguished road

my 870 has never let me down. use it for every thing. amazing how much dirt and stalks you can get in action and still use it.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:57 AM

Dakotazeb is on a distinguished road

This question absolutely boils down to personal preference. No right or wrong answer. However, if I was limited to one shotgun to hunt upland and waterfowl with it would be difficult to beat a Remington 870 for overall use and dependability. And I don't even own one currently, but I have owned several in the past. Heck I don't even own a pump shotgun right now. But for the money, versatility and dependability an 870 is a great choice.