The #1 dedicated pheasant hunting website & community!
Pheasant Hunting Guides, Outfitters, Lodges - List Your Business

UGUIDE South Dakota Pheasant Hunting

Go Back   Ultimate Pheasant Hunting Forum > Pheasant Hunting Discussions > Guns & Ammo

Guns & Ammo Discuss pheasant hunting guns, ammunition, chokes, parts, reloading, etc.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:02 AM
UPH Amateur

Browning_145 is on a distinguished road
Default Browning Maxus vs. Benelli Vinci

I work for Gander Mountain and I got to shoot the new Browning Maxus and Benelli Vinci for 3 days this past week for product testing. I was blown away by both guns for different reasons. First the Browning Maxus; very soft shooting gun, and nice and light. This gun pulls up awesome. Has a slimmer fit and feel compared to the Gold. I personally loved this gun and I ordered one. Benelli Vinci; this gun dis-assembles amazing, nothing out there can touch it. I can dis-assemble this gun in under 5 seconds. I personally don't like the looks of the gun, but some do. This gun didn't pull up right for me, too much drop in my opinion. Also, it doesn't shoot as soft as they say it does. It swings nice and is very light , altogether a nice gun. Now, I am a Browning guy, and I always will be, but the general concencus at the shoot was that the Browning was nicer, but the Benelli will probably sell better because of their marketing campaign. If you get a chance, shoot them both, you won't be disappointed.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:18 PM
UPH Guru

onpoint is on a distinguished road

Good choice, congrats

I have had 6 Benelli's...trouble with them all

The only Benelli that would even interest me in the least would be a 20ga Montifeltro or maybe a Cordoba and that's only because of the weight of the guns

The new Browning Maxus is the talk of the sporting world. IMO, it will far out sell the Vinci . The new Benelli is one "UGLY" gun

Last edited by onpoint; 06-05-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:52 PM
UPH Guru

UGUIDE will become famous soon enough

It's nice to see a Browning product perform well but I am always a skeptic when a brand guy recommends his brand. Fair enough.

My gun exposure is limited. I've owned a Browning A-5, Rem 1100 and my current gun a Benelli SBE.

My measure of a gun is similar to those bayou boys hunting ducks in the mud and muck down south and they are only happy when their gun goes "boom-boom-boom" consistently. Benelli commercial of course.

The SBE is similar in performace to the old Browning A-5 which was a brilliant mechanical action design.

I grew up hunting ducks from boats that were full of muck and water which were tough conditions for autoloaders.

Thanks for the update. I always like hearing who prefers what and why.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:51 PM
UPH Amateur

Browning_145 is on a distinguished road

We have the Vinci's in our store now (Gander Mountain) and no one has bought them yet, they are ugly, but I am sure once the hunting seasons come upon us they will sell better. I agree that the SBE is a great gun, and I hope the Maxus can match it or go beyond it.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:08 PM

bobeyerite is on a distinguished road

I am neither a Browning or a Benelli man. My love goes to the Remington 1100 and 11-87. I have been at the Trap range when somebody brings in a new Benelli or browning. I sometimes get a chance to test fire them just for fun. To me the Benelli has always been a somewhat over rated gun I just never cared for them....Bob
Old 06-09-2009, 04:33 PM
UPH Guru

Uncle Buck is on a distinguished road

As a guy who prefers someting else, a beautiful sxs, I can say the Benelli SBE I use as my mud/waterfowl/steel gun has performed admirably
________
Alaska medical marijuana dispensary

Last edited by Uncle Buck; 02-18-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:46 PM
UPH Die Hard

gsp4life is on a distinguished road

i just bought a sbe II last year and was really bummed when i heard benelli was coming out with a gun that surpasses all the other guns that they made. i felt like i made a really bad choice. then i seen what they came out with and made me really happy that iown the sbe II. man that vinci is one ugly gun

Last edited by gsp4life; 07-21-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:55 AM
UPH Rookie

elkhunter77 is on a distinguished road
Default Benelli vs Maxus

I will take a benelli any day over a browning maxus in North Dakota when the temperature is below freezing. Any gas loader I've ever had has angered me immensly in the winter of North Dakota. M1S90 benellii for over 10 years hasn't given me any issues in the cold weather. Gas loaders seem to handle recoil better, but I am a bigger guy and i never notice recoil regardless. Even with my old remington 11-87 which weighs a ton(and sucks in cold weather).
It's personal preference. The Vinci went through 88,000 rounds in argentina without a malfunction. I think it's personal preference. You get 3 1/2 inch with the maxus, which makes it nice, but I have never has any issues with taking geese down with the right load and choke with 3". Just my two cents. Anyone have both guns? I choose the Vinci because I know it won't jam in the winter.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:56 PM
UPH Guru

onpoint is on a distinguished road

You need to try a Beretta Xtrema or 391

I was just like you for many years. Gas guns were unreliable. I will admit the first few years of the Browning gold had there problems. The later guns were very good. The new Maxus has improved the gun a bunch more.

The problem with the Benelli is, if you don't hold the gun firm and give it a very stout object for the gun to recoil against. The gun can and will malfunction. I have trained myself to give with the gun from shooting large big bore magnum rifles. The Benelli doesn't work well for me but might work fine for you. A gas gun doesn't rely on such a stout resistance to make the gun function reliable. I am and always will be a Browning A5 guy myself when it comes to auto's. The long recoil action seems to be less dependent on a stout resistance when firing the gun
Old 09-10-2009, 05:38 PM
UPH Rookie

elkhunter77 is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks for reply

I understand your point. I think what it comes down to is personal preference. I've used a SBE and an M1 for over 10 years and have never had any issues, which is why I lean towards benelli. I haven't has the problems you talk about, so from my perspective it's hard to justify some other shotgun when I have something that works and has never malfunctioned. I am usually take over 100 pheasants a year and hunt in blizzards and temperatures that are well below 0 degrees. I am a nut I guess. Last year in particular and the year before I used gas autoloaders and neither of the shotguns handled the below freezing temperatures very well, whereas the m1 benelli never had any issues and hasn't had any issues with the sub-zero temperatures. If I was in your shoes I wouldn't want a benelli either because of the problems you've had. The benelli's I use never seem to give me problems, so that's why I will stick with benelli over any gas loader out there. Recoil isn't an issue for me either durability and reliability is an issue and that's why I will stick with what I have had success with. Thanks for your reply and I like open discussions. I like the way the vinci looks to, but I can see how people would maybe not like it. It a shotgun that is like no other.