The #1 dedicated pheasant hunting website & community!
Pheasant Hunting Guides, Outfitters, Lodges - List Your Business

UGUIDE South Dakota Pheasant Hunting

Go Back   Ultimate Pheasant Hunting Forum > Regional Forums > Texas

Texas Texas pheasant hunting forum, meet up with Texas Hunters, spots to hunt in Texas and Texas related posts.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:06 AM
UPH Master

SALLYSUE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougmantx View Post
I use to hunt Ft Hood 20 years ago but now there is to much razor wire and it has become very dangerous to run dogs. It was also prior to 9/11 so it was much easier to get on the post.

Not much good Quail hunting around central Texas. You might look into getting a tag from the State to hunt Chaparral WMA in south Texas. It's about 20K acres and has some good years. Get a pair of snake boots no matter when you hunt there. The snakes are large and if you hunt with a dog make sure the are snake proofed.

If you like Duck hunting we use to hunt Ducks on Lake Belton.

For Quail, south Texas is the place to be but expect to pay big bucks.
I was on Hood all day yesterday crow hunting. Been playing there for years . No problems getting on post any more .
Old 12-11-2009, 05:04 PM
UPH Rookie

BirdRanger is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Hood

Let me know when you make the run here, would love to meet some good hunter around here.

I have meet very few deer hunting, have to pull on stands before you get in them it is horrible, I have had 2 stands and 2 cameras stolen and had someone mess with one of my lock ons and fell 10 feet good thing I am hard headed. Talked with GW about it and unless I got pics nothing he can do about it. I know who did it but they are Old Timers and no one does anything about them. Good thing I am not dead, I got my fair share of payback though, aint been one deer killed in their areas.

Give me a call 254-681-4996.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:05 PM
UPH Master

Sorry you had a problem. My # is 254 534 3255 also Rod
Old 12-13-2009, 10:24 AM
UPH Rookie

BirdRanger is on a distinguished road

Sallysue, I is all part of public hunting, I guess you meet the good and great and leave the bad, now don't get me wrong I have meet more good than bad, most are either religious bowhunters or bird hunter I'll take both. Will drop a line when I get a chance would be good to meet some more great folks around here.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:50 PM
UPH Master

Birdhunter I got several private places leased for duck and dove in this area. I am retired and go several times a week. Wife said I may have a problem account of 3 doves leases,a farm I plant sunfowers on,2 duck leases. But what she hadn't seen is the 100 flats of shotgun shells I got stored.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:36 PM
UPH Master

Rusty Trigger is on a distinguished road

Sally, how often do you go duck hunting? Are the ducks down yet? Something I have never really done yet.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 PM
UPH Master

Hunted last 5 days
Old 12-30-2009, 01:43 PM
UPH Die Hard

jlmatthew is on a distinguished road

I lived in Lampasas when I was stationed at Ft Hood in the earlly 90's and there was a fair amount of quail in the area. I was a little E-1/PVT back then and some of the ranchers took pity on me and let me hunt their places.

I'm sorry you got stationed down there cause without a big wallet, Texas is the worst place to live for someone who likes to hunt. I hated it there and couldnt wait to leave just because of the lack of hunting (without paying).

Just wish all the Texans moving to Colorado would check that leasing mentaility at the stateline. Just ask for permission, quit ruining it for all of us with your money!
Old 12-30-2009, 04:51 PM
UPH Die Hard

Rhodi is on a distinguished road

Have to agree with the differences in hunting between CO and TX. I grew up in TX and was stationed in CO while in the military. I was pleasantly surprised with the opportunities available in CO.