The #1 dedicated pheasant hunting website & community!
Pheasant Hunting Guides, Outfitters, Lodges - List Your Business

10 Gauge Outfitters

Go Back   Ultimate Pheasant Hunting Forum > Bird Dog Discussions > Main Bird Dog Forum

Main Bird Dog Forum General bird dog information and bird dog questions.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:39 PM
UPH Guru

westksbowhunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraqueFrancais115 View Post
Thank you guys so much for the responses.

The little fellow is already fully potty trained and crate trained. He sleeps through the night and does not wake (or whine) until I wake him in the morning - around 6:45 - 7 AM.

I personally choose not to allow him on the furniture or my bed for hygiene reasons, but I like the idea of napping with him in sleeping bags whenever possible.

Perhaps I need to ease up on the corrections - he's incredibly "bity" during play and it gets out of hand. This is when I either pin him down, like his mother would, or hold his flaps/lips and make him bite himself. These are just a few methods to work on bite inhibition. Other people, who he is exposed to on a regular basis, simply let him bite away and allow him to continue with play. Perhaps I'm viewed as the villain here considering that ALL play sessions eventually lead to escalation (biting) and correction (from me).

As far as what I'm working on with the little guy on the training table - it's mostly simple stuff including clicker training. To teach him his name and to help him focus on the person calling him, I say his name and click when he makes eye contact, followed by giving him a treat. As time passes, I demand longer periods of eye contact (vs staring at the treats I'm holding) and reward him accordingly.
ie name - eye contact (click) - eye contact (click) - eye contact (click & treat). Same clicker method is used to desensitize him to being handled and grabbed. I pull ears (click if he doesnt bite me), grab legs (click), stroke torso (click) and give treat. Also doing the same to expose him to the manual nail clippers and the electric clipper (rotary tool), which is the devil to him. These tools are simply placed on the training table at all times.
Well it sounds as if you have him on his way then. Other than training those who play with him.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:27 PM
UPH Master

mgorvi is on a distinguished road
Default Bonding

I take a nap with my dog almost every day and I read to her quite often. Dogs love to be read to. Keep it simple and short. Adventures of Lassie, Rin Tin Tin, Clifford the Big Red Dog, are all some of Miya's favorites, although there are many more. Good luck with your new partner.
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM
UPH Guru

Gatzby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraqueFrancais115 View Post
Hello,

I picked up a pup on day 49 (7 weeks) and he's now 3 months old. Due to my busy work schedule, I've only been able to spend a few hours of quality time with him daily while other people tend to him throughout the day (and walk him).

That said, I want to make sure that we're bonding properly - I honestly dont quite know what to expect given the fact that he's my first puppy ever. He does seem to bond well with his daytime caretaker. When the person enters the room, he runs towards said person to play with such enthusiasm and joy making it difficult for me to not reflect on the relationship that I currently have with my own pup.

Do you guys have any thoughts as to what activities we can get involved in to bond? I'm typically there for him during his lunch and afternoon walks - including nature exploration - along with informal retrieving drills and other fundamental training sessions on the training table.

Thank you.
The best way to bond is to spend time together! There isn't any magic tricks. You bought a pup, make the time. Work less, sleep less, or give up another hobby it will be worth it in the end.
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM
UPH Rookie

BraqueFrancais115 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorvi View Post
I take a nap with my dog almost every day and I read to her quite often. Dogs love to be read to. Keep it simple and short. Adventures of Lassie, Rin Tin Tin, Clifford the Big Red Dog, are all some of Miya's favorites, although there are many more. Good luck with your new partner.
I had no idea that people actually read to their dogs. Looks like I'll be picking up a few kids' books asap to read to him while he chews on an antler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
The best way to bond is to spend time together! There isn't any magic tricks. You bought a pup, make the time. Work less, sleep less, or give up another hobby it will be worth it in the end.
Sound advice - sometimes it's as simple as spending more time with him. Thank you.
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
UPH Guru

SALLYSUE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Let him sleep with you, and yes I am serious. Nothing is more effective and now you add 8 hours of time daily with him.
I agree 100% My gal is more like a person than a dog