The #1 dedicated pheasant hunting website & community!
Pheasant Hunting Guides, Outfitters, Lodges - List Your Business

10 Gauge Outfitters

Go Back   Ultimate Pheasant Hunting Forum > Regional Forums > Iowa

Iowa Iowa pheasant hunting forum, meet up with Iowa Hunters, spots to hunt in Iowa and Iowa related posts.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:49 PM
UPH Rookie

scott county vizsla is on a distinguished road
Default The Amphibious Rooster

Yesterday was the final hunt of the season for me and there was a unique finish to say the least. I was hunting a roadside ditch/creek that always has birds but they are very skittish and I basically have to start the hunt exactly where they are roosting or they flush whenever I get within 100yds. This time I guessed correctly and the dog got birdy immediately, a hen flushed at my feet followed be a rooster at my 8 0'clock. After a warning shot from my Winchester 24 I dropped the bird on top of the opposite creek bank. The bird goes into its death flaps and starts bouncing down towards the water just like a fish, which is fine since there is about a 20 yard stretch of ice to tumble onto. As the dog is making his way to the bird I notice something odd happening, the bird is still flapping away and it happened to land on a 2' patch of snow on the edge of the ice, the flapping acts as an auger and the pheasant digs through the snow into the water(somehow there was no ice under this snow) the dog arrived as the bird goes underwater, he starts pawing the hole and whining. I am dumbfounded as this all happened in about ten seconds, I walk downstream to open water to see if the bird floats out, no dice. After a few minutes of encouragement and no bird on my end, the pup sticks his head under the ice and pulls out the submerged rooster. Went straight to the gas station for the dogs prize, beef sticks, and called it a season. This particular creek is only about 6' wide but fairly deep(I've crossed it many times for downed birds) and I sure am glad I didn't have to wade in there this time on a windy 15 degree day!
Old 01-09-2017, 09:09 PM
UPH Guru

Miforester is on a distinguished road

That is outstanding, that pup would be pampered for sure at my home. Congrats on a great finish to your season.
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5
Ellie - 3 yr old Yellow Lab
Jazi - 11 yr old Chocolate Lab
Kaci - 3/23/01 - -10/8/15
Old 01-10-2017, 09:22 AM
UPH Die Hard

A5 Sweet 16 is on a distinguished road

Amphibious rooster? How bout amphibious dog?!? (Love them beef sticks!)
Old 01-10-2017, 09:56 AM
UPH Die Hard

roscoe71 is on a distinguished road

that pooch deserves that beefstick.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:25 PM
UPH Master

Matt D is on a distinguished road

Great story. Had something similar happen this year in SD but with out the ice. Dropped a bird over a large lake. Dog right in to the water after it. Gets half way to it and the bird in it's flopping some how started diving under the water and disappeared. Dog got there and no bird. Started swimming circles look for it. After about 30-40 seconds it finally surfaced. Never seen that before.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:30 PM
UPH Die Hard

roscoe71 is on a distinguished road

I used to have a britt. that would fetch to hand naturaly he made some labs look bad. he was the worst hunting dog I ever owned,,,he couldn't find a pork chop laying in the middle of the road, but he had no problems diving in after them and bringing them back.