The #1 dedicated pheasant hunting website & community!
Pheasant Hunting Guides, Outfitters, Lodges - List Your Business

10 Gauge Outfitters

Go Back   Ultimate Pheasant Hunting Forum > Regional Forums > Missouri

Missouri Missouri pheasant hunting forum, meet up with Missouri Hunters, spots to hunt in Missouri and Missouri related posts.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:49 AM
UPH Guru

PheasantWhisperer is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone doing any good

I got out a couple times this past weekend. Didn't slay em but happy with bird numbers. Especially being so hot. Did get rewarded with a couple. Went yesterday evening for about an hour and got 2 woodcock. Along with a couple of quail. Nice Missouri mix bag!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suede and pipe 11716 2.jpg (1.64 MB, 39 views)

Last edited by PheasantWhisperer; 11-10-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:22 PM
UPH Pro

daboone is on a distinguished road

Good news:
Went yesterday and hunted for 4 hours and got into 4 covies.

Bad news:
Covey #1 = ~12 birds
Covey #2 = ~7 birds that were a late hatch and small
Covey #3 = ~6 birds
Covey #4= ~8 birds

Shocked to see such small covey sizes this early in the year. Couldn't go after them to get single work besides the first covey!
Old 11-11-2016, 09:42 AM
UPH Guru

PheasantWhisperer is on a distinguished road

Were the small covies close together in proximity?
Old 11-11-2016, 02:16 PM
UPH Guru

Crossing shot is on a distinguished road

Pheasant not good. Weather a problem for quail. Have to hunt at sunrise. Too hot to let the quail walk around and leave scent before starting. Too green. Still getting tomatoes out of the garden.

Today we found a small covey next to a pond. On the way back found another small covey on the other side of the pond. Coveys seem to be spread out. Brother got one shot. My britt had a nice point on a single. Bad luck; no one could shoot.

Need some snow.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:11 PM
UPH Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PheasantWhisperer View Post
Were the small covies close together in proximity?
Covey #2 and #3 were the closest and they were about 150 yards apart. Based on size/age difference they were different broods!
Old 11-11-2016, 10:19 PM
UPH Pro

Went to a public spot today and had a beautiful point on a hen pheasant,,,when she flushed I could tell that she had taken some lead pellets from someone that can't tell the difference between a hen and a rooster.
If you are unsure then don't shoot!
If you don't know how to tell the difference in the field then learn before you "hunt"

On the way back to the truck I heard a few quail trying to covey back up. Didnt pursue them since I didn't know the original covey size.

I hope others feel the same way I do about not crushing coveys below #'s that can survive harsh winter conditions!

Orange army is out there now, make sure you are wearing plenty of orange and that your brown dogs wear orange vests!!!
Or just do some deer hunting like I will be
Old 11-12-2016, 05:12 AM
UPH Guru

We have been hunting the same coveys for longer than I can remember. You cannot do this if you shoot too many.

Hopefully, everyone's thinking long term fun.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:16 PM
UPH Rookie

JVolt is on a distinguished road

I have been very surprised with the success and bird numbers this year. All on public land...

11/1 2 guys, 4 roosters in about 2 hours

11/4 2 guys, 4 roosters in 58 minutes (I was pretty pumped about the under an hour mark). We also got up a covey off of a great point but they stayed low following the lab flush and it was a marginal shot so we let them go without shooting.

11/6 2 guys, 4 roosters, 12 quail... We got into 4 covies and we really stretched that hunt out for the fourth rooster

11/12 2 guys, 4 roosters but that took a solid 5 hour walk. I missed a bird off of the lab's point that was probably the worst shot I have taken in recent memory. 3 clean misses but we still ended up with a 2 man limit.

My GSP is 2.5 years old this year and has really turned it on. He has made this year very easy on me, and it seems that the MDC took out more crops than in most years by this time. I am a bit concerned about late season numbers, but this early season has sure been enjoyable. heading back out this weekend and hoping to keep the success rolling.

Good luck to you all this season!
Old 11-15-2016, 12:19 PM
UPH Pro

MAB7799 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossing shot View Post
We have been hunting the same coveys for longer than I can remember. You cannot do this if you shoot too many.

Hopefully, everyone's thinking long term fun.
Funny you mention this. I shot my first quail ever on a covey on my grandpa's farm down towards Joplin when I was a kid. My dad hunted that covey before I was born. My grandpa hunted that covey when he bought the property in the early 1970's. It's still there today roughly 40+ years later. Over the years I've found some crazy old shell casings out there.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:27 PM
UPH Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVolt View Post
I have been very surprised with the success and bird numbers this year. All on public land...

11/1 2 guys, 4 roosters in about 2 hours

11/4 2 guys, 4 roosters in 58 minutes (I was pretty pumped about the under an hour mark). We also got up a covey off of a great point but they stayed low following the lab flush and it was a marginal shot so we let them go without shooting.

11/6 2 guys, 4 roosters, 12 quail... We got into 4 covies and we really stretched that hunt out for the fourth rooster

11/12 2 guys, 4 roosters but that took a solid 5 hour walk. I missed a bird off of the lab's point that was probably the worst shot I have taken in recent memory. 3 clean misses but we still ended up with a 2 man limit.

My GSP is 2.5 years old this year and has really turned it on. He has made this year very easy on me, and it seems that the MDC took out more crops than in most years by this time. I am a bit concerned about late season numbers, but this early season has sure been enjoyable. heading back out this weekend and hoping to keep the success rolling.

Good luck to you all this season!
Allright. Hopefully my luck changes. The conservation guys told me pheasants were down.