The #1 dedicated pheasant hunting website & community!
Pheasant Hunting Guides, Outfitters, Lodges - List Your Business

10 Gauge Outfitters

Go Back   Ultimate Pheasant Hunting Forum > Pheasant Hunting Discussions > Guns & Ammo

Guns & Ammo Discuss pheasant hunting guns, ammunition, chokes, parts, reloading, etc.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:25 PM
UPH Guru

Prairie Drifter is on a distinguished road
Default Gun Purchase Advice

After all these years of attending banquets and never winning anything but the dog food that the ants wouldn't carry off, I finally won a gun. A Henry Big Boy .44 caliber lever action. Well, figure that I wouldn't hit many birds with that, so I sold it. My intent is to roll that money into a concealed carry auto and an adult bolt action .22. My leaning for the C/C is a Glock 43. The 9mm ammo is cheaper than the .32 of the Glock 42. I've looked a bit at the Ruger LC9, but already use a Glock at work. As for the .22 bolt, I've been looking at the Ruger American Rifle but one gun shop recommended either a Marlin or Mossberg as an option. Anyone have experience with any of these. I'm more at home with smooth bores!

Troy Smith
Old 05-13-2017, 05:48 PM
UPH Die Hard

Chestle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Drifter View Post
an adult bolt action .22.
I know you said a .22 bolt but the absolute most accurate .22s I have ever shot have been the lever action Marlin 39As. I have a lot of friends that own one, there's one in my safe and every single one is a tack driver.

Plus, there's something fun and historical about a lever gun. You can be John Wayne at the river in The Searchers for only about 6 cents a round right now.

If it HAS to be a bolt, the CZ455 has a good reputation, the Ruger M77/.22s are really nice but pricey. Don't know anything about the Ruger American. Anschutz makes a good one too.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:24 AM
UPH Pro

Reilly Auld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestle View Post
Anschutz makes a good one too.
I have an Anschutz .22.

Pricey but worth it.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:11 AM
UPH Guru

Miforester is on a distinguished road

Troy,

Cant help you with the .22. I looked at the glocks but they just didn't fit well in my hand. I would suggest looking at the S&W MP Shield Line up, I purchased a .45 this winter and love it. Very little recoil and a nice little compact pistol. The price is pretty good as well. When I purchased mine it came with standard mag 6+1 and extended 7+1 they also had a deal going of a free extended. I chose to get the one with the thumb safety. The 9mm is basically on the same frame from what i'm told. They also have the MP 45 that is not a compact 7 oz heavier and capacity is 10+1. Just another option. I've sent 100+ rounds through mine and could shoot it all day.
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5
Ellie - 3 yr old Yellow Lab
Jazi - 11 yr old Chocolate Lab
Kaci - 3/23/01 - -10/8/15
Old 05-16-2017, 11:39 AM
UPH Guru

JMc is on a distinguished road

I have both the Glock 43 and the Shield. They both shoot great. The Glock is a little lighter than the shield and easier to break down; however, I believe the Shield has a little less recoil. Can't go wrong with either one.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:11 PM
UPH Master

pheasanthunt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to pheasanthunt

I have both the glock 43 and 42. I like the Glock 42 better for CC. I think its a little lighter and a little smaller. but I also really like the 43, and if I didn't have the 42 the 43 is what I would CC. I also have the 26 (the 9mm double stack (might be the 27, not sure)) and I do not like it for CC the 42 and 43 are so much easier to carry. I know you didn't really ask about the glocks just my 2 cents.

Jim
Old 05-18-2017, 02:13 AM
UPH Guru

Toad is on a distinguished road

So, wha'd ya get??? I took some of the proceeds from the last gun I sold to buy a lever .22. Not too practical of a purchase, but it is fun to plink with.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:03 PM
UPH Guru

kick them up is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Drifter View Post
After all these years of attending banquets and never winning anything but the dog food that the ants wouldn't carry off, I finally won a gun. A Henry Big Boy .44 caliber lever action. Well, figure that I wouldn't hit many birds with that, so I sold it. My intent is to roll that money into a concealed carry auto and an adult bolt action .22. My leaning for the C/C is a Glock 43. The 9mm ammo is cheaper than the .32 of the Glock 42. I've looked a bit at the Ruger LC9, but already use a Glock at work. As for the .22 bolt, I've been looking at the Ruger American Rifle but one gun shop recommended either a Marlin or Mossberg as an option. Anyone have experience with any of these. I'm more at home with smooth bores!
If looking for a .22 for an adult the CZ line of 455's are great and superior accuracy. on the auto .9mm you may want to look at the CZ P10C (new striker fire gun) , or the CZ 75 D compact PCR.

www.cz-usa.com

Last edited by kick them up; 05-19-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:48 AM
UPH Guru

Prairie Drifter is on a distinguished road

I've pretty much settled on the Glock 43. As a back up weapon, having armorers in house makes that an easy choice. As for the .22, I have looked at the CZ 455, Ruger American, Ruger 77/22, Marlin XT, Mossberg 802, Savage Axis, Remington 783, Mossberg Patriot Kryptek Highlander, and Savage Mark II. I like the CZ a lot. Could really like the 77/22, but it's twice the price. I could easily be happy with several of the others. Feel free to jump in and shorten my list!

Troy Smith