The #1 dedicated pheasant hunting website & community!
Pheasant Hunting Guides, Outfitters, Lodges - List Your Business

Go Back   Ultimate Pheasant Hunting Forum > Pheasant Hunting Discussions > Gear & Equipment

Gear & Equipment Pheasant Hunting equipment: dog collars, vests, boots, shirts, pants, etc.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 AM
UPH Guru

jeffstally is on a distinguished road

With 1 x 4s for the sides, it may not be tall enough for a box of shell to stand up after you factor in the drawer height. The top is made out of 1/2 inch plywood, but again, it is not regular plywood because that warped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-36.JPG (442.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg photo-37.JPG (457.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg photo-38.JPG (493.5 KB, 32 views)

2 springers, 1 red setter, 1 nice wife to allow it.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:42 PM
UPH Die Hard

wolfcreeknc is on a distinguished road

DakotaZeb,
Several years ago I built a sub floor for the back of our '97 Toyota Landcruiser that rests on top of the wheel wells on the sides and has two ribs in the middle for support (two furthest rear seats removed). I don't know what the "landscape" of your suburban is but I found out quickly that a solid piece would not fit inside the vehicle as one piece when countoured to fit snugly. I used cardboard as a template to get the contours for the sides to match up "exactly" with the interior. The center two ribs created its own compartment and the wings were the top surface. The wings have a piano hinge to the center compartment so that I can fold it upward to move in and out of the vehicle. There is no drawer, you just slide your guns into a soft case or when moving from spot to spot. The Toyota has a tail gate with a upper window that hinges on the top so similar to a pickup. It really works great for the trip to Kansas from North Carolina; you can store guns and all sorts of stuff under it and the dog has a nice space along with other items. Also keeps the valuables out of sight. I would take a picture but it is not in the vehicle at this time. If you use 3/4" cabnet grade plywood it is very sturdy/stable. The vertical supports only need to be 1/2" thick since it can not rock side to side with it trapped inside on the sides. If you are interested I can take a photo of the rig outside the vehicle.
Best of luck on your project,
Wolf
Old 05-09-2012, 06:12 PM

FCSpringer is on a distinguished road

Had this up before. But it is 2x8 center support, 1x face frame, 1x8 sides and back, plywood top and bottom, oak 3/4 by3/4" slide stripsinside for drawers to slide nice on, both sides of drawers and one below the middle of the drawers as well. Drawers are clear pine built cabinet style, blind nailed. even has a water tank if desired. All covered with spray on bed liner and drawer locks. Aluminum drip edge and ruber seal on drawer fronts. Dust and water free. Can be in rain and also washed off easy. I will some time install dividers for guns and shells in one. Holds 32" guns in a 6' box. Tank is about 18" wide if you take that out it could be shortened for a SUV. You would just have to install firing strips on the bottom to raise it up for drawer clearance out the SUV door jamb. Works great. Now in my f150.

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:36 PM
UPH Guru

OKIEGunner is on a distinguished road

Here you go................fork out the cash

http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.c...pictureid=1572

Here is the website link

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ch&um=1&itbs=1
Old 05-10-2012, 12:21 AM
UPH Guru

Toad is on a distinguished road

Wow, that's nice. The 5-gun drawer would look pretty pathetic if it was in my truck... Since I only bring one shotgun, I mean. Owning that rig would be a good excuse to buy more guns though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKIEGunner View Post
Here you go................fork out the cash

http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.c...pictureid=1572

Here is the website link

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ch&um=1&itbs=1