Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curing

Default Curing

Has anybody ever heard of curing pheasant or any other game bird? I was reading an article about it and was wondering if anybody has done it before.

i have heard of gutting and hanging them in a cool, dry place for a couple days, fully feathered......makes no sense to me.

curing in what sense exactly? I know many people that will cure in a brine before smoking or making jerkey.

The article that I was reading had a pic showing phez with head and feathers on with a hook through the nose hanging in a fridge. It said the fridge was set at 55 degrees.The guy said to leave hang like this for 7-10 days. That is what I was asking about.Sorry about not being more specific.Iplan on getting a book that is mentioned in the article.The title is River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall. I'll let you know if I find it and where at...Phil

Quote Originally Posted by roosterreaper View Post
    curing in what sense exactly? I know many people that will cure in a brine before smoking or making jerkey.
    I brined a bunch of pheasants last year and then smoked them. It tasted just like ham.
    JeffStally

Here is the website where I read the article that made ask the question. www.honest-food.net It is under upland bird recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffstally View Post
    I brined a bunch of pheasants last year and then smoked them. It tasted just like ham.
    Do them whole?

I wonder if a guy could bundle some breast filets together and make a larger mass of boneless 'ham'?

Got a brine recipe?

I have heard of old timers doing this a bunch, with ducks , whatever. But not sure I would want to try it. Might just end up in the bathroom more then one likes. But if done right I guess it tenderizes and adds to the flavor. Good luck.
    http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

When you think you are smarter than your dog, ask your self who cleans up who's poo.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    Do them whole?

I wonder if a guy could bundle some breast filets together and make a larger mass of boneless 'ham'?

Got a brine recipe?
    We did the whole cleaned bird. They were skinned too. Afterwards we did say that it would be better to just do the breasts.

I will try and find the brine recipe we used. I know it was water, vinegar, brown sugar, worschester sauce, and a few other things.
    JeffStally

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V. View Post
    Here is the website where I read the article that made ask the question. www.honest-food.net It is under upland bird recipes.
    Interesting web site. Thanks for it!