Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Field Dress Pheasants

Lightbulb Field Dress Pheasants

Guys,

I'm putting together an article on field dressing pheasants. I need your input as everyone has their own style and I'd like a variety of styles for the article. As far as what to do, just do a step by step (1., 2., 3., etc.). If I don't get any input, I'll just put a few of my favorite styles. My favorite cleaning techniques came from a fellow South Dakotan & a hunter from Nebraska.

If you want to remain anonymous, send me a PM or just reply to this post. Thanks.

Ryan

Thumbs up

I'm sure you already know this one, but I stand on the wings very close to the body with the head facing away from me. I then pull up on the legs forcefully, but at a steady even pressure. This will breast the bird, taking everything with the legs, including the insides, leaving only the breast. There is virtually no cleaning to do, just rinse the breast and bag it. I also think it makes it easier to cut the legs off as well, if you choose to keep them. It's quick, simple, and no mess.

Good Hunting!

Paul
    Be close to your Friends, and Good to your dog!

This is the way I've always cleaned Pheasant.
    Cut the wings off at the first joint and the head and neck.
    Cut 1 leg off at the joint, the other is cut around so the skin will pull off easily.
    Cut a slit in the skin at the breast.
    Then just pull off the skin.
    Make a cut around the lower part of the breast and pull the insides out.
    Trim around the neck area and rear.
    Rinse in clean water.
    I leave a wing where required.
    This will take only a couple minutes.
    Being I most of the time use the whole bird this works good. And I always clean the birds in the field after the days hunt.

mnmt

Same as above. Have a table set up everytime season starts(outside of course0 near a water hydrant.

I usually like to keep the thighs and not just the breast meat. For that reason, I'll remove the head, wings, tail and one foot (leaving one foot for identification). Skin the bird. Using a hunting shears, I cut down each side of the neck/backbone the full length of the bird. Pull the bone out along with all the entrails. Makes for a pretty clean carcus and easy to rinse.

If I clean a bird at home, I skin the feathers back around the breast and legs. Then filet the meat off the bones. Then the rest of the bird is disposed of intact.

I'm right there with Dewey. Thanks for saving me the typing Dewey!

I'll make a bolder statement in that I think throwing away the legs and meat borders on wanton waste. The meat around the thigh is just as good as breast and there is plenty of it.

I agree it is wasteful, and I like the legs best.

Quote Originally Posted by phird05 View Post
    I'm sure you already know this one, but I stand on the wings very close to the body with the head facing away from me. I then pull up on the legs forcefully, but at a steady even pressure. This will breast the bird, taking everything with the legs, including the insides, leaving only the breast. There is virtually no cleaning to do, just rinse the breast and bag it. I also think it makes it easier to cut the legs off as well, if you choose to keep them. It's quick, simple, and no mess.

Good Hunting!

Paul
    Have used this method the last 3 years or so works wonderful, does leave the wings on the bird for proper identification. Legs and thighs then can be cut and saved. A lot quicker and cleaner.

Dave

I also use the stand on wings and pull method. You can still keep the thigh/let meat, but I do it at home so I don't have to worry about keeping a wing and or foot to ID. If I was traveling a long way, or staying somewhere over night, I'd do it the "old fashioned" way and skin the bird leaving a wing/leg.
    Note that this fast pulling when standing on the wings method is very ineffective if your shot breaks a wing or leg.

I also cut the wings, head, tail and one leg off, leaving one leg for ID.
    Next, I just grab some skin in each hand on either side of the breast, and pull (no knife needed), so you don't have to worry about cutting the breast.
    Just pull all the skin off, feathers included.
    Then, I grab in one hand where the tailbone, and the other right up under the breast and pull in opposite directions, opening up the cavity. Most everything can be scooped/pulled out with one motion.
    Rinse under some water, put in a ziplock bag, and I'm done.