Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CRP Haying Scenario - Right or Wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I guarantee those hunters will still see more birds on his land than they would from whatever state they came from.
    Finally. this has been my whole point all all along! The media won't reflect that though. A great disservice!

Quote Originally Posted by UGUIDE View Post
    An landowner in South Dakota owns 1500 acres. Half of it is in CRP and the other half is in crop and pasture. He farms crops and cattle and also takes in pheasants hunters in the fall. He's got about 60 hunters booked at his place over 7 weeks. The drought is bad this year and CRP is open for haying. He takes the max hay off the land in August which is 50% of the acres and that reduces his huntable acres by 50%. Essentially reducing hunting acres from 750 down to 375. This also affects over winter cover for wildlife as well.

You are one of the hunters coming to his place this fall.

Right or Wrong?
    I forgot to mention. These guys hunt 3 days per week, drive 3 days to get here and each pay $1000/person and it is their highlight trip of the year they look forward too all year long...

Guess if I paid for one thing and got another. I would be more than a bit disappointed. Especially given the money, travel and highlight of their year expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by UGUIDE View Post
    WRONG. There's going to be a whole lot of fee hunters showing up to Chi-Town to find half their CRP is missing.
    I guess I don't understand your response.

He did what he had to for his primary source of income. If he doesn't do the right thing and make some sort of concessions to the hunters, then that's not right.

Maybe it's because I can walk out my back door and hunt, but I don't see a pheasant hunt on any type of par with protecting your livelihood. He's got to try and make it right with the hunters however, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by McFarmer View Post
    I guess I don't understand your response.

He did what he had to for his primary source of income. If he doesn't do the right thing and make some sort of concessions to the hunters, then that's not right.

Maybe it's because I can walk out my back door and hunt, but I don't see a pheasant hunt on any type of par with protecting your livelihood. He's got to try and make it right with the hunters however, somehow.

I agree. And I think most hunters completely understand. And if they don't, they should go to a preserve/game farm.

I don't understand it either...what is "Chi-Town?"

The land we hunt was hit with lots of snow last December. The farmer/rancher indicted he was going to call the next group of hunters and advise them not to come, due to the deep snow et al. Had it been me, I would have appreciated the snow alert. Likewise, if half of the huntable acreage has been cut...and no additional land added, a phone call advising future hunters of the altered conditions would be smart.
    Last edited by jonnyB; 08-13-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Default Proves the failure of CRP.

If the conditions change he should offer a refund. The big point is the failure of CRP. Does He return half the CRP payment? Or as a tax payer, am I just out half the money we spent on the program, and 1/2 the benefits to wildlife. It would have been so much wiser to purchase erodable land directly. No grazing would be needed when moisture is low. Hundreds of millions spent, and your back where you started.

Prairie grasses need to be cut or burned periodically, and that is what CRP consists of. Leaving them for the duration of a 15 year contract is not good...it becomes pretty obvious after about year 7-8 if not sooner. So even without a drought to spur the action, my experience with my own CRP/WRP is that you have to have a management plan, and to cut or burn periodically...maybe every 5-7 years ideally...and yes, the landowner still gets the payment. So this is not a bad thing, in my opinion...I don't think it is a "failure" of CRP.

CRP as originally conceived is a soil conservation and water quality program. Those benifits are achieved, as are the ones related to nesting habitat when limited haying takes place. The benifits to society is certainly reduced somewhat however.

Heck, the Iowa DNR has ground they take hay off of, land they lease out to producers to graze and land they grow row crops on.

I have always had a considerable (for me) of ground I raise hay on, and I have some CRP. I didn't take any hay off the CRP because I didn't need the forage. I offered it to some South Dakota ranchers but the trucking costs were prohibitive.

So as a landowner I book a hunt in December, guys show up with their German Shorthairs and the high for the day is -15 degrees and the wind is blowing 25 mph. They say we can't hunt in this and want some kind of compensation. Am I responsible for the weather? Likewise am I responsible to assure hunters that if a drought comes that they won't be affected? I have spent all the money on seed, chemical, planting plus tied up the land so I have made the investment should I be responsible for the weather and refund there money? Who is going to refund mine?