Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lookin for Blues.

Default Lookin for Blues.

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some information or at least point me in the right direction pertaining to areas where I may be able to hunt Blue Grouse near or somewhat near Rawlings.

I will be visiting Wyoming for opener of Sage Grouse and will also be hunting sharp-tailed grouse, and maybe some huns. I have pretty good areas to hunt those birds, but if the opportunity arose, I would like to have the chance at finding some Blues.

ANY information would be greatly appreciate.

Thank you.
    Traveling across the Midwest hunting open fields, walking tree lines, and bustin' through plum thickets. Follow my adventures on FB and Instagram @hunt_birdz

Your not going to find any blues anywhere near there. you need high alpine areas to find them, during sage grouse season. Green mountain is the closest area to where you mentioned.

Thanks for the information. I have been doing some research on Green Mountain. I'm waiting for some info from a couple of game wardens that work in the area. Is there a specific altitude that I will find blues at during September? What size shot would you recommend?

Would really appreciate your feedback.
    Traveling across the Midwest hunting open fields, walking tree lines, and bustin' through plum thickets. Follow my adventures on FB and Instagram @hunt_birdz

Hey huntbirz, glad too see you on UPH. I can't say that I'm familiar with Wyoming hunting but early in the season I would tend to look for blues where the sage meets stands of aspen and pine. The birds are usually at their lowest altitude at that time of year feeding up on hoppers. I look forward to following your trip and seeing the pictures on Instagram.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by quail hound View Post
    Hey huntbirz, glad too see you on UPH. I can't say that I'm familiar with Wyoming hunting but early in the season I would tend to look for blues where the sage meets stands of aspen and pine. The birds are usually at their lowest altitude at that time of year feeding up on hoppers. I look forward to following your trip and seeing the pictures on Instagram.
    Sound advise about where to find them, six shot is fine , 7.5 will work. Just like sage grouse, they are not great flyers.

Not much to add to that advice, I hunt near Lander and seem to catch them working up in the morning. Might find Ruffs also. I use a 20 ga AA Sporting clay 7/8 of 7.5 and open chokes.

Only addition I'd add is to scan the branches also as the digs will push them up a lot of times before they launch.

Thanks for the information, appreciate it. I'm doing research and waiting for some info and details back from someone that works for Wyoming Game & Fish.

Thanks...I appreciate the information and advice. I'm sooo looking forward to this trip. At the same time, not really sure how it will go. Either way, it'll be a bucketlist trip definitely. Whether or not we get birds, just being out "west", camping, chasing birds, watching the dogs, you just can't any better than that. Trying to read as much as I can on HOW to hunt sage, sharptails, and blues too.

Quote Originally Posted by quail hound View Post

Appreciate the info. I'm really excited to head out west and hunt. Trying to familiarize myself on HOW to hunt sage, sharptails, and blues as well. Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by berettadouble View Post
    Not much to add to that advice, I hunt near Lander and seem to catch them working up in the morning. Might find Ruffs also. I use a 20 ga AA Sporting clay 7/8 of 7.5 and open chokes.

Only addition I'd add is to scan the branches also as the digs will push them up a lot of times before they launch.

We did the blue , sage , hun , and sharptail trip to WY a few years ago. Try the Medicine Bow forest just what of Laramie near Albany. As stated , we found them where sage met aspen stands. 6's or 71/2's will be fine. Like most grouse , they die when you hit them. We also found some in the Big Horns near Dayton , WY. Evenings always seemed better. They roost late has been my observation. All 4 species can be taken on that hunt , gotta put in some miles!!