Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help building confidence and other...

Quote Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
    I'm not sure if their is a difference other than nomenclature. What ever you do get a .209 as they are much cheaper to shoot. I go through about 1500 primers a year for about $45.
    Ok, thanks Gatzby. Appreciate you explaining. I was leaning towards the 209 but only just because that's what I can get locally here.

Lion Country Supply used to call it a training pistol but basically it is a starter pistol that shoots these short acorn crimps.

http://www.lcsupply.com/22-Crimp-Bla...oductinfo/BA1/

One thing I additionally did with all my pups was take them to a skeet/trap range whenever I could on a Saturday or Sunday. Started them on this at a very young age.

In the early ages, I'm talking 10 weeks, I'd just park 100 yards or more from the line and just sit in the truck with the pup, talking and petting. It's just faint distant pops at that range. As the pup grew, we'd take the next step and get out of the truck and play. Any kind of play. A ball, a walk, whatever; still 100 yards away. Probably spending 10-15 minutes and then leaving.

Then when they didn't even look towards the line anymore I'd move it in 15 yards or so. Time went by, we played a little fetch with a dummy. More time, move a bit closer. You get the idea.

By the time the dog was 5-6 months old we'd be playing fetch right behind the 27 yard line on a trap field, maybe 30-35 yards from the guns. By this age, they'd be getting all excited just driving into the range. They could hear the pops and they knew some play was just ahead.

YMMV. Worked for me for the last ~40 years. Never had a gun shy dog out of 10 pups.

Quote Originally Posted by Chestle View Post
    One thing I additionally did with all my pups was take them to a skeet/trap range whenever I could on a Saturday or Sunday. Started them on this at a very young age.

In the early ages, I'm talking 10 weeks, I'd just park 100 yards or more from the line and just sit in the truck with the pup, talking and petting. It's just faint distant pops at that range. As the pup grew, we'd take the next step and get out of the truck and play. Any kind of play. A ball, a walk, whatever; still 100 yards away. Probably spending 10-15 minutes and then leaving.

Then when they didn't even look towards the line anymore I'd move it in 15 yards or so. Time went by, we played a little fetch with a dummy. More time, move a bit closer. You get the idea.

By the time the dog was 5-6 months old we'd be playing fetch right behind the 27 yard line on a trap field, maybe 30-35 yards from the guns. By this age, they'd be getting all excited just driving into the range. They could hear the pops and they knew some play was just ahead.

YMMV. Worked for me for the last ~40 years. Never had a gun shy dog out of 10 pups.
    Thanks for your comment Chestle. This is very interesting and its worked for you time and time again. Ive seen it mentioned, I believe its in the book Ive read, where it says not to do this. I would imagine its "generally" a no-no because people do this(same with at the food bowl) carelessly with no plan or steps and it leads to problems because they just bull rush the pup into gunfire. This seems well thought out and not careless imo(just like westks' food bowl tactic). You go but keep a good distance so the noises are faint, just like with the starter pistol/bird intro and at a good distance away to start. Hmmmm, this might work. As I stated and noticed her confidence changing recently, I don't think wed have a problem doing this. When I advance her stage of gunfire intro I wanted it to be associated with live birds. Here, the playing with the pup while firing is going on acts as the birds in a sense. I do plan on getting her on more live birds this weekend with an uptick in gunfire...not much, a loud cap gun for the time being. So as long as all goes well, I may do this to help her conditioning. It seems as if it would work hand in hand as we progress.

Id like to bring this thread back up since its been a few months. Remi is now 7.5 months.

Remi has been on more birds, both quail and chukar, and has also been around gunfire(training pistol) a lot more now. Once a week sometimes twice, every week with the gun. The supplier told me his chukar need a few more weeks so thats being put on hold until then.

I have been training in a group setting once a week which has helped with this(as they work the older dogs shes hearing it from a distance) and many other things. Our gun intro started with live birds not too long after I originally made this thread(before the group) and from a far distance. Now Remi has progressed up to doing short single marks and as close as 30 yards with the gun. So far so good. No negative reaction. Quite the opposite. Gun goes off, ears go forward and ready to mark in excitement. Its great to see. We will keep working like this and eventually progress up to a 20 gauge then 12.

Her confidence is growing as well. A lot of it is from letting her be a pup and experience new things and places. Seems like a natural progression for her. Im just there to help guide her lol
    Last edited by outdoorslife89; 07-17-2017 at 01:16 PM.