Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Itching, Scratching and Biting at her Legs

Quote Originally Posted by Meller View Post
    How did this turn out? Did you find the cause and the cure, or still having the problem?
    The first of May she was in tough shape. Several bald spots on her rear quarter that were inflamed. The vet gave her an injection of Cytopoint which is suppose to relieve the itching for 4-8 weeks. We saw an immediate improvement and by the end of May she had new hair growth in those areas. The 3rd of June I took her to a trainer in Colorado but before she went I had the vet give her another injection of Cytopoint. She was with the trainer for 2 months, just got her back about 10 days ago. Her coat looked great and all spots had grown back to normal. While at the trainer's he switched her from NutriSource to ProPlan and continued to give her the supplement to boost her immune system along with some salmon oil. Since she has been home we have seen some scratching and occasionally some biting but not sure if it's the symptoms coming back or just normal dog itching. By now that last injection of Cytopoint has worn off. I'm going to continue to monitor her and if we see signs that she if scratching and biting more than normal I will take in for another injection and also have her tested for allergies. But right now all is good. Thanks for asking.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

So are you continuing with Pro Plan or are you back to NutriSource?

Interesting that things continued to improve while at the trainers and now is starting to get worse again. Could be the medication wearing off like you said. From where I'm sitting it would seem something in the home environment is triggering it, whether that something is in the home or airborne (Atopic Dermatitis) or food related. My 11 year old GSP suffered from allergies when he was younger. It would always flare up in the late fall and winter months though. Had him tested by a veterinary Dermatologists but didn't come up with anything. He was tested for 60 different common allergens and nuttin... Then as he got older the flare ups were less severe and didn't last as long until one year he quite having issues altogether and to this day has not had any more issues.

Other than Steroids which I didn't really like to use, one medication I remember using that had good results was "Atopica". Wasn't exactly cheap but it seemed to work. Start out with higher dosage and then gradually reducing the dosage over time.

Hope you find out what it is.
    Last edited by birdshooter; 08-10-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Staying with ProPlan. Bree had a Cytopoint injection before going to the trainer that controls the itching for 4-8 weeks. I guess is that is wearing off. Seeing the vet tomorrow and will test for allergies and get another Cytopoint injection as her scratching and biting are increasing.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Dam DZ, I am sorry to see you all having so much trouble. :-(
    VC Max vom Schutzenknapp, VJP 75, HZP 190, VGP 303 Prize I 4H Nose, HN, BTR, NA 112 Prize I, 204 Prize I, 2014 SMCNA Hall of Fame dog youngest inductee.

Baja vom Wamsbach, VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112 Prize I. A diamond in he rough!