Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opening Weekend

Default Opening Weekend

What part of the state are you planning on hunting? Public or private?

I think that I might head NW
    Last edited by Madison COunty; 10-15-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Talking are you trying to ditch me???

what the heck madisonco are you looking for greener pastures? or are you just checking out how much competition for the public we will have?

I just thought that I would go up there for the scenery, not the birds. I have been told that there are no birds in Iowa.

Someone told me that there are all kinds of birds around the pella area so I might try there opening weekend

I am locked down for the opener I have my puppies breeder is coming from Germany to see us and her. I am stuck.

But, I think we are going to sneak away tuesday/weds. Not sure where yet.

I figured I better give you guys with labs a head start before the real dogs arrive!

I work the weekend, but have Monday and Tuesday off and will probably hunt both days. I don't have high expectations, but I suspect I can find one or two birds in eastern Iowa. If nothing else, I have four dogs that will appreciate the exercise.

A few weeks in I will probably be ready to make the drive south to some covers that I know hold birds.

Me and the rookie(7 mo old Brit) will be hitting up some family ground in NE iowa. not much for bird numbers that last couple years. one place we are going has been releasing 100 6 week old birds every spring for the last 4 yrs. there are birds out there - great for the dogs - but we only let the kids shoot the birds. Sunday I plan on hunting a huge chunk of public land out east of Worthington, anyone been through it. It's in the PF program, i'm more curious than anything. anything to wear the pup out, listens better that way. Happy hunting!

Talking hey no fair playing dirty thats my backyard!

Quote Originally Posted by Madison COunty View Post
    Someone told me that there are all kinds of birds around the pella area so I might try there opening weekend
    the only pheasant in pella were in my freezer . you must be talking about sparrows and starlings sure we have plenty of them.

Madison COunty, you coming down with your mutt?

Talking real funny

Quote Originally Posted by mstand View Post
    I am locked down for the opener I have my puppies breeder is coming from Germany to see us and her. I am stuck.

But, I think we are going to sneak away tuesday/weds. Not sure where yet.

I figured I better give you guys with labs a head start before the real dogs arrive!
    real funny mstand . what were your dogs called? oh yes i remember MUSTERDLANDERS. tell me are they good for picnics. i guess if ya think about it that might be handy if your dog would fetch the musterd for every one. personally i'd rather have a BEERLANDER do they have those?