Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pheasant Sausage?

Default Pheasant Sausage?

My wife recently bought me a meat grinder.. and I am super thrilled to have it and can't wait to put it to use when I start bringing home some game from the upcomming season. I was wondering if anyone has ever turned their pheasant breasts into some type of sausage using a meat grinder. Any advice, or recipes would be greatly appreciated! Any other winged friend recipes would be great to! Thanks guys!
    The Lone Rooster

"Whistlin' Dixie Comin' Through The Trees"

Default What

Sounds like a waste of good pheasant which is becoming harder to come by all the time My wife would shoot me, or have me committed, if I tried to grind up pheasant breasts think the grinder may be better used for Deer, elk etc

Check the recipe section. There's a good recipe in there. I'll make some using the legs and thighs this year. Looking forward to it!

Hmm, no recipe section. Where did I see that recipe? The lounge maybe? I just saw it this week. Someone brought it to a meet up.

One of my customers does 1 pack of bacon and 6 pheasant breasts ( 12 pcs ) and makes burgers. He said they are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbear View Post
    One of my customers does 1 pack of bacon and 6 pheasant breasts ( 12 pcs ) and makes burgers. He said they are great.
    That sounds good. I honestly think you could put bacon on a turd and make it good.

Quote Originally Posted by carptom1 View Post
    That sounds good. I honestly think you could put bacon on a turd and make it good.
    I love it! Seems that every time someone brings up how to cook game, especially the not so favorable meats like sharptail, it involves wrapping it in bacon.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Count me in as one that would like a good sausage recipe. Thinking something with a little pepper and cheese, stuffed in a natural casing and grilled, kielbasa/polish style.

You can call it a waste if you want, but whats it matter as long as the meat isn't being thrown out and the people eating it like it?

Wink

I make sticks and breakfast sausage. You can buy or make your own seasoning kit to taste. It was recommended by butcher to use 50% pork mixed in. I noticed some kits are overpowering so you will have some trial and erro to begin. Sticks are labor intensive, I found large casing for sausage roll the way to go.
    Upland hunting is for the birds...and those of us who love our dogs!

There's a recipe on upland journal that people are raving about. I'm going to try it with my legs and thighs this year.